Traditional KWJS Awards
The KWJS introduced various awards in an attempt to motivate and encourage its members to continue their efforts in research and development. The Academic Award, Achievement Award, General Thesis Award, Technology Award, Cheolam Thesis Award and Schoolwork Award are all presented during KWJS academic events. The KWJS also recommends its own members as candidates of other awards offered by the Korean government and public agencies, to boost professional pride and to recognize highly-skilled personnel in the welding and joining industries.
- Academic Award: This award is presented to KWJS members who have made remarkable contributions to the development of welding/joining technologies, as evidenced by their publication of highly-acclaimed papers and books.
- Achievement Award: This prize is awarded to KWJS members (or associated individuals) in acknowledgement of outstanding contributions to the growth and development of the KWJS.
- Technology Award: This honour is bestowed upon KWJS members for their significant involvement in the advancement and development of welding/joining technologies.
- General Thesis Award: This award is granted to KWJS members whose papers published in the Journal of KWJS are highly acclaimed from an academic viewpoint.
- Cheolam Thesis Award: This prize is awarded to individuals (aged 39 years or younger) who are key authors of outstanding papers published in the Journal of KWJS.
- Schoolwork Award: This prize is presented to good, creative academic performers in technical high schools and colleges (imminent graduates only), enrolled in fields relevant to welding and joining.
The KWJS recently launched additional awards as a further attempt to inspire its members to pursue continued research and development activities, and to engender a sense of pride in the skilled workers in the welding and joining industries. These new awards, initially sponsored by the Korea Welding Industry Association and I.W.S. Co. Ltd., are presented to KWJS members involved in the academic, R&D or commercial sectors of welding/joining for their noteworthy contributions to academic and technological innovation in such fields.
- KWIC Welding Industrial Technology Award: This prize is awarded to Regular KWJS Members who have maintained continuous KWJS membership and involvement in welding-related industries for 10 years or more.
*Award initially sponsored by the Korea Welding Industry Association
- I.W.S. Technology Innovation Award: This award is presented to Regular KWJS Members who have maintained continuous KWJS membership and involvement in welding-related industries for 10 years or more.
* Award initially sponsored by I.W.S. Co. Ltd.
- Young Fellow Award: This honour is bestowed upon Regular KWJS Members, aged 35 years or younger, who have maintained KWJS membership and involvement in welding-related academia, research and industries for 5 years or more.
* Award initially sponsored by the Korea Welding Industry Association
Nomination of Candidates for KWJS Awards
- Deadline for nominations: August 30th of each year
- Candidates eligible for nomination: all Regular Members of the KWJS
- Required documentation: A nomination letter (an applicable form is downloadable from the KWJS website), the nominee’s CV and all materials which support the nominee’s achievements (papers, books, products, etc.)
- Awards open to nominations: Academic Award, Achievement Award, Technology Award, and Schoolwork Award
- Awards not open to nominations: General Thesis Award / Chelam Thesis Award - Winning papers will be selected by the Editorial Board of the Journal of KWJS from amongst all papers published during the respective Award year.
- Recommendations required by nominees:
a. Recommendation by more than 5 Regular Members of the KWJS.
b. Recommendation by the Head of an academic group or research institute.
c. Recommendation by the Head of the company where the nominee is employed.
d. Recommendation by the President or relevant Dean of the nominee’s university/college.
(re: candidates for the Schoolwork Award, a recommendation by a guidance teacher or advisor is